Steamtown Railway Museum Carnforth | Facebook
London and North Eastern Railway rebuilt Gresley 4-6-2 'A3' class locomotive number 4472 FLYING SCOTSMAN at Steamtown Railway Museum at Carnforth prior to working the 08:30 (Additional) London Euston to Sellafield 'Santa Steam Pullman' charter (1???) forward from Carnforth. Tuesday 28th December 1982
To the delight of many a steam train began running over a short stretch of the old Dingle line in 1993. What is more incredible is the steam loco is a genuine survivor of the Tralee and Dingle Railway. The Hunslet-built 2-6-2T no 5 is back on the line it was built for, despite being moved away to the Cavan and Leitrim Railway upon closure of the home line. When the Cavan line closed, no 5 was acquired for the Steamtown museum in the United States and was shipped across the Atlantic. On display for many years, the fairy tale continued when the loco made the return journey to Kerry, was restored to full working order and in 1993 re-commenced duties on the relayed Tralee to Blennerville section. More recently, the delay in the heavy overhaul of No 5T has caused partial or total closure of train services. Services re-commenced in August 2009, using a diesel locomotive formerly in use at the West Clare Railway but were only to last a short time before closure once again. (From: )
In September 1955 F. Nelson Blount bought the narrow gauge Edaville Railroad which began his activity of displaying and operating steam locomotives. In 1956 the Boston & Maine Railroad donated locomotive number 1455 to the Edaville. This was the first standard gauge locomotive to be placed into Mr. Blount's collection. This acquisition started his passion for collecting more standard gauge railroad stock. He began acquiring standard gauge steam equipment from all over the United States and later from all over the world. There was no practical way to get the equipment to South Carver as no standard gauge tracks were nearby, thus requiring they be moved by flatbed trucks. In December 1960 Mr. Blount purchased the terminal facilities of the B&M in Walpole, New Hampshire, across the Connecticut River from Bellows Falls, Vermont. In 1961 Mr Blount approached New Hampshire state officials about the creation of a railroad museum and an operating excursion train to accompany the museum. Mr Blount offered to donate some of his collection of steam equipment to the museum. In 1961, anxious to start running an excursion train, Mr Blount approached the Claremont & Concord Railroad to use 13 miles of their trackage between Bradford and Sunapee, NH. The first train ran in July pulled by No. 47, a 4-6-6T steam locomotive built in 1912 for the Canadian National Railways. Number 47 pulled 4 wooden passenger cars and a fire-control car that day. In August an ICC inspector shutdown the operation of locomotive No. 47. A leased Claremont & Concord diesel locomotive was used to pull the excursion train for the remainder of the year. In early 1962 Mr. Blount had corrected the issues raised by the ICC and No. 47 was back in service. While there was proposed support from NH to help fund the creation of the Steamtown Museum there was also opposition to using state funds. In February 1963 NH turned thumbs down on the state owning the Steamtown Museum and funding was withdrawn. Still, excursion trains ran in New Hampshire in 1963 between North Walpole and Westmoreland. In 1963 Mr Blount set up the Steamtown Foundation for the Preservation of Steam and Railroad Americana and donated 20 steam engines and other steam equipment to the foundation. In May of 1963, after the Rutland Railroad shutdown operation in Vermont, the state of Vermont purchased 180 miles of the Rutland tracks. Mr. Blount bid for trackage rights between Bellows Falls and Ludlow and in 1964 Steamtown moved from New Hampshire to Bellows Falls, Vermont. Early in the morning on May 28, 1964 Blount's equipment was moved from New Hampshire to Bellows Falls. Steamtown began running excursion trains in Vermont that summer. Canadian Pacific 4-6-2 No. 1293 was used to pull excursion trains in September and October of 1964. For a more complete story about F. Nelson Blount look for the book "The Man From Steamtown" by James R. Adair.The site still has the old coaling plant, ash plant and turntable in situ although it closed to the public in 1997. Its now a major base for West Coast Railways. This company which ran the original steamtown museum is a major provider of excursion trains in the UK.Steamtown Railway Museum at Carnforth in Lancashire was open to the public from 1969 to 1997. It included the old British Railways engine shed, wagon works and goods yards to the west of Carnforth station. Many famous steam engines such as Flying Scotsman, Sir Nigel Gresley, Lord Nelson and green Arrow were based here and overhauled. At its peak there were over 20 steam engines present.
In the above YouTube movie there are various shots of all these locomotives and trains at photo stops and other locations. The section from Terowie to Peterborough, after this film was taken, was converted to broad gauge; completed in 1969, which made Peterborough for a while into a three gauge location with a unique three gauge turntable which still exists there as part of the Steamtown Museum.